IRCTC login is the next process after a new account creation. And it is a regular process if you want to book online tickets on the IRCTC website. The user needs to login into the website every day and whenever required in order to book a TATKAL ticket, check PNR status, do train enquiry, and cancel a ticket.
Steps to do IRCTC login
Open the IRCTC website www.irctc.co.in or you can also open the login page directly through https://www.irctc.co.in/eticketing/loginHome.jsf. Actually, https://www.irctc.co.in will redirect the user to https://www.irctc.co.in/eticketing/loginHome.jsf automatically.
Then look for the login section on the website/login page, you can find it in the very middle of the website and it looks like as shown in the picture above. It is a box labeled as “Login” with few options. The login section contains the following options:
- User Id text box to enter the Login id.
- Password text box to enter the password.
- Captcha text box to enter Captcha characters.
- Option to request OTP.
- Link to reset the password.
- A login button to submit the details for authentication.
Now follow these simple and very important steps for a proper and successful login.
Step 1: Enter your Login id in the “User Id” text box.
It is a word between 3-6 characters which may be composed of letters, numbers and underscore only. It is the same that you had set when you created a new account at IRCTC website.
Step 2: Enter your password in the password text box.
It is a set of characters between 8 to 15 characters. It must have a Capital and one small letter and a numeric digit at least. It is the same as you had set during account registration or last time you reset your password.
Step 3: Enter Captcha characters in the Captcha text box.
- Captcha characters are a set of random characters as shown in the 3.1 in the picture above. These are used to verify that the person accessing the website is a human and not a robot. Enter character as shown on 3.1 option of your login page. Enter these characters in the capital only.
- There is a “Captcha refresh button” as shown in the 3.2 option in the picture above. It can be used to regenerate a new set of captcha characters if you are not able to read the current one properly. It can be used as many time you want.
You can also select the “Generate OTP” option to get a one time password on your registered mobile phone. This option can be used if you don’t want to use captcha entry option. The OTP will be sent to the mobile number provided at the time of account registration. By selecting this option the Captcha entry options get hidden and the login page will look like the picture below.When login button is clicked after entering a correct login id and password a 6 digit number OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number and you will be redirected to a page like shown in the picture below to verify the one-time password.
Step 4: Forgot password to regenerate the password (Optional)
In case you don’t remember your password and whenever you are getting invalid password error while doing login then this option can be used to reset the password. One you click on the IRCTC forgot password link, it will take you to the https://www.irctc.co.in/eticketing/forgotPassword.jsf page as shown in the picture below.
- On forgot password page you will find two options user id and Captcha. Enter your IRCTC login id and captcha as shown in the captcha character set. You can also request a new captcha if it is unreadable. Then click on “Fetch details” button.
- Now it will display a new set of options as displayed in the picture below in which it will ask a security question which was set by yourself at the time of account registration. Enter answer of the security question and provide your new password to reset and confirm it in the “Confirm password” option. The new password should contain one small and one large and a numeric digit.
- If you don’t remember the secret question’s answer then IRCTC has provided an option of OTP. If you select this option then a 6 digit OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number. You can enter this 6 digit OTP instead of secret question’s answer and provide your new password to reset and confirm it in the “Confirm password” option.
- Now enter the security Captcha as provided. Enter the Captcha in capital letters only.
- Press the Submit button to reset the password. Now your password is reset and when ever you do login next time you have to provide this new password.
Step 5: Click “Login” button to login IRCTC website.